A very well-liked snack made from half-ripe jackfruit flesh is called “jackfruit chips.” The optimum time to eat jackfruits is from April to June, and jackfruit trees are commonly found in the majority of Keralan families’ backyards.
These months have seen an overabundance of jackfruit recipes — both sweet and savoury dishes created with unripe and ripened jackfruits, jackfruit seed, and other ingredients. Because of its flesh-like texture, jackfruit is often known as “fake meat.” It is understandable why we prepare Sabzi, Kathal Pickles, and Kathal Biriyani.
In Kerala, South India, jackfruit chips, also known as chakka upperi, are a preferred teatime treat. They are wonderful, crunchy, crispy, and simple to make!
Choose a jackfruit that is fully developed but only half ripe. To cut the flesh, you’ll need a good knife. White, gooey latex covers the entire jackfruit. Therefore, before beginning, liberally coat your hands & knife in any cooking oil.
Additionally, put a piece of old newsprint beneath the fruit to stop the latex from adhering to your work surface. Split apart the jackfruit and scoop out the meat one by one with the lubricated knife. To keep the latex from adhering, oil your fingers and knives occasionally.
Put the trash away in a different container or place it on some old newspaper. Don’t throw it on the ground. Later, it is exceedingly challenging to clean up the mess. The garbage can be disposed of or composted for the garden.
Check the ingredients and the steps to make delicious jackfruit chips.
- 2 cups Cut the half-ripe jackfruit flesh into long wedges.
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, 1-2 tablespoons
- one water glass
- Deep-frying with coconut oil
Steps to make jackfruit chips-
- Cut the jackfruit flesh or bulbs into somewhat thin wedges by cutting them lengthwise.
- Add the turmeric powder and well combine.
- In a skillet or kadhai with a thick bottom, heat the oil.
- In batches, add the jackfruits and cook them over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Add the salt to a cup of water and mix until it dissolves.
- Add a teaspoon of saltwater towards the oil after the jackfruit has been fried until it is crisp.
- Chips are combined and then strained onto a dish covered in kitchen paper.
- After allowing it to cool, put it in an airtight container. Serve!
Tips for making crispy jackfruit chips-
- Not every jackfruit is good for making chips.
- Ensure that the jackfruit is somewhere between raw and ripe.
- Even after being cut into wedges, the flesh retains its texture and isn’t mushy.
- Turmeric powder can optionally be added. As a result, adding turmeric spice gives the chips a pleasing tint.
- The oil temperature must be kept constant.
- Make sure the oil is always “sizzling” or making a sizzling sound. If not, as soon as you remove the chips from the oil, they will quickly turn limp.
- When putting salt water towards the heated oil, exercise extreme caution. Skip this step if you feel even the slightest bit overwhelmed.
- Instead, add some salt as soon as you’ve transferred the heated chips to a platter or dish. Together nicely.
- You may keep the jackfruit chips for over two weeks if you place them in an airtight container. Given how addicting it is, it won’t last very long.
Choosing the correct jackfruit is one of the most crucial steps in creating the chips. Even if it is a little ripe, it must be raw otherwise the chips won’t become crispy.
Jackfruit chips are to be stored under normal conditions, away from sunlight.
12 months from the date of manufacturing under good storage conditions is the adequate shelf life for these yummy jackfruit chips.
India is one of many tropical countries where jackfruit thrives. In addition to other regions of India, it abounds in Maharashtra’s Konkan region. The jackfruit is the biggest fruit that grows on trees. When ripe, the compound fruit’s exterior is green or yellow.
Large edible lobes of yellow flesh with a banana flavour make up the inside, which also contains an oval, smooth seed that is light brown in colour. It is well known that jackfruit has a unique scent. Jack fruit chips are created from specially chosen jackfruits, which are just as nutritious and delicious as banana crisps or any other type of healthy food.