HEALTH BENEFITS OF KERALA SPICES
Kerala, God’s own country, is blessed with the treasure of spices! These Kerala spices include clove, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, ginger, turmeric, tamarind. In addition to adding flavors to the dishes, these spices play a pivotal role in healing. No wonder, these spices are included in most of the home remedies. Let’s have a glimpse of the health benefits of each of these Kerala spices.
The health benefits of clove are numerous!
- Immunity booster- There is nothing more valuable than a strong immunity, especially during a pandemic situation like this. Clove provides great immunity by killing microbes and viruses to a great extent and thus is a chief ingredient in most Ayurvedic medicines! It is advised to add cloves even to everyday tea for better health and function of the body.
- Natural painkiller- The oil extracted from clove is used as an excellent pain killer during toothache. This age-old remedy not only reduces the pain but also limits caries present with its antimicrobial properties!
- Treats ulcer- Studies show that clove, when consumed, helps in treating stomach ulcers.
- Anti-inflammatory agent- Clove oil has properties of curing ulcers, pain through a compound called eugenol. Hence, clove oil is used as a topical application for pain relief during arthritis, mouth ulcers, etc.
- Aids in Digestion- Clove has digestion promoting factors that help in reducing gas accumulation(flatulence), nausea, and other gastric disorders! Hence, clove is used in the preparation of most of the Indian dishes.
- Improves respiratory function- The most affected system of our body during COVID 19 disease is the respiratory system. In order to boost immunity and prevent respiratory disorders, the inclusion of black pepper as a medicinal source will be beneficial. It’s is used in the treatment of the common cold, asthma, etc.
- Improves Digestion – Pepper is widely used as a digestive aid. It prevents constipation and also aids in weight loss!
- Antioxidant properties- Pepper is rich in antioxidants which helps in reducing free radical damage to our body, in turn, limiting the chances of developing cancer!
- Anti-inflammatory- Prolonged inflammatory diseases like arthritis can be relieved to a certain extent by the application of oil rich in piperine, the main active component found in pepper.
- Helps in curing digestive disorders- Cardamom is the spice that is often stumbled upon while eating any Indian dish! Though this seems unpleasant, this spice is very wisely introduced to the dishes as it helps in curing digestive disorders! Cardamom helps in improving gut health by healing ulcers.
- Aids in the treatment of lifestyle disorders- The lifestyle disorders like raised blood pressure and diabetes can be cured by consumption of cardamom.
- Cures bad breath or halitosis- Cardamom, when placed in the mouth helps in eliminating bad breath also helps in preventing caries which is a factor causing bad breath.
- Prevents developing of diabetes- Cinnamon has properties that can prevent diabetes mellitus which is the common lifestyle disease in today’s world.
- Helps in maintaining weight- Cinnamon when introduced to the food aids in weight loss.
- Antioxidants- Cinnamon has an abundance of antioxidants which play a vital role in the development of deadly diseases like cancer!
- Soothing agent- Nutmeg acts as a great soothing agent by providing calming effects which aid in treating insomnia, a sleeping disorder. It helps in improving mental health. It is also an effective pain reliever.
- Beautifying agent- Consumption of nutmeg helps in detoxification of the body and aids in improving skin health, thus providing supple and healthy skin.
- Prevents blood disorders- Nutmeg helps in better circulation of blood throughout the body and also helps in preventing the development of blood cancer.
- Immunity booster- Star anise has properties to ward off flu. It provides great immunity from infections.
- Good for the tummy- Star anise aids in digestion and reduces flatulence by eliminating gas. It also helps in curing stomach upsets by killing microbes and other fungal agents causing ailments.
- Natural medicine during monsoon- Monsoons and ginger have an age-old relationship, with ginger a must inclusive thing in monsoon tea. This is a great tool to prevent flu and other ailments which is common during monsoons. Ginger has flu warding properties and is also aids in relieving throat pain!
- Friend of heart- Ginger helps in reducing cholesterol, which is a the common factor causing heart disease.
- Good for digestion- Ginger helps in better digestion. Ginger also helps in alleviating nausea.
- Natural antiseptic agent- It has been passed in for generations as an antiseptic agent that can heal wounds. Prior to the application of any other medicines, turmeric is a common first aid that is applied on the wound surface for better healing. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can heal ulcers when consumed
- Antioxidant- Turmeric has an abundance of antioxidants that helps in preventing cancer.
- Helps in preventing heart diseases- Curcumin in turmeric healthifies the lining of the heart which helps in better circulation of blood.
- Digestion aid- Tamarind not only adds lip-smacking flavour to our dishes but also helps in preventing constipation!
- Good for eyes- Tamarind is rich in vitamin A which is known for better eye health.
- Immunity booster- Tamarind which is rich in Vitamin C is an ideal immunity booster. Vitamin C-rich foods should be consumed to prevent flu, cough, cold.