Looking for some ‘quick-fix’ food to satisfy your hunger pangs? Then the answer is already in your mind, isn’t it? Yes, we are talking about dry fruits here. Dry fruits and nuts are an integral part of our daily lives. These rich delights are the perfect solution during times when you are running out of time or restricting your diet. Moreover, dry fruits and nuts have multiple health benefits. But before we move further, let us delve into a few more details about these nutritious delights.
What are dry fruits?
Dry fruits which are also known as dried fruits are nothing but fresh fruits that have dried up. Various drying techniques are used in this process, the most common one being conventional sun-drying. Once they shrivel up, the pulpy remains are left behind and these are what you call dry fruits. You can also call them energy bombs as they become concentrated nutrients once the water content is removed. Raisins, cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds, figs, apricots, and prunes are some of the most common dry fruits. You can also get the candy versions which are mostly sugar-coated. The most common among them include cranberries, pineapples, and mangoes.
Raisins are the most common dry fruits that are easily found anywhere. The best part about dried fruits is that you can preserve them for a longer time as compared to fresh fruits. They come in handy as easy-to-go snacks, especially during trips or long journeys. These rich delights are highly nutritious and rich in antioxidants. The surprising fact here is that dry fruits contain the same amount of nutrients included in fresh fruits. The only difference is that they come in a much smaller package and are in condensed form. That means a single serving can provide a huge number of vitamins and minerals to the human body.
Are you aware that dry fruits are a healthy alternative to refined sugar? Yes, you heard that right! They are the best alternative to satisfy your sweet cravings. This information will motivate you to reduce your favorite ice cream intake in the coming months, isn’t it? Just grab a fistful of nuts and you are done with your hunger pangs.
Health benefits of dry fruits or dried fruits
Here is how dry fruits help the human body:
- Boosts immunity: Dry fruits are full of various essential nutrients. They increase the nutrient intake in the human body and help it fight diseases. These delights are rich in iron, potassium, folate, magnesium, and calcium. The antioxidants present in them helps fight illness.
- Combat cancer: Soaked almonds and cashew nuts are known to fight cancer. They are especially effective in curtailing breast cancer. Moreover, nuts like pistachios are known to prevent the growth of tumors in the human body. Walnuts and brazil nuts also help fight against cancer cells.
- Weight loss: Dry fruits are beneficial for fitness and aid in weight loss. They help in reducing weight when taken in moderation. They also help boost metabolism levels in the human body.
- Combat constipation: Dry fruits like figs (Anjeer) are rich in fiber content and help in ensuring a healthy bowel. For the unversed, fiber helps eliminate waste from the human body. Other dried fruits like apricots and prunes are also rich in fiber. Moreover, dates and pistachios make the bowel flexible thereby relieving constipation.
- Healthy tummy: Dry fruits include both soluble and insoluble fibers that help improve digestion. Ultimately, they help in keeping the stomach healthy. The soluble fibers are known to maintain good bacteria inside the body. Almonds and walnuts have laxative properties which are also essential for a healthy gut.
- Anti-aging: Dry fruits can work wonders when added to face masks. They also help us achieve radiant and glowing skin. Moreover, pistachios and almonds also help remove dead skin cells.
- Fight anemia: Prunes and raisins are rich in iron and are beneficial for those people who suffer from anemia. The vitamins and minerals present in dry fruits boost the regeneration of blood cells. They also help boost hemoglobin in the human body. They assist in increasing the energy levels.
- Healthy heart: Dry fruits play a significant role in lowering blood pressure. They help reduce inflammatory markers in the body and control cholesterol. Some of them like almonds include Vitamin E that prevents the spike in cholesterol levels. They reduce the risk of heart attacks, heart diseases, and stroke.
- Bone health: Very few people are aware that dry fruits help maintain bone health. Some of them, like dried plums, enhance bone growth and formation in the human body.
- Fight depression: Dry fruits are rich in beta carotene that helps battle depression and anxiety. The antioxidants present in them also help boost memory levels. So, you can enhance learning and performance including sleep.
Apart from that, let us specifically look into the benefits of some of the magical dry fruits:
- They keep the heart healthy
- Aid in weight management
- Keep the hair and skin healthy
- Control the blood sugar levels
- They reduce stress
- Prevent cancer
- Good for healthy skin and hair
- They help in weight loss
- Reduce bad cholesterol
- Reduce the risk of heart diseases
- They help in weight management
- Increase hemoglobin levels
- Boost energy levels
- Enhance the gut health
- They are good for the eyes
- Keep the skin and bones healthy
- Help in weight loss
- They promote weight loss
- Treat acidity and constipation
- Treat anemia
- They prevent diabetes
- Lower the level of bad cholesterol
- Boost immunity
- Help in reducing weight
- They help fight diseases
- Improve stool consistency
- Prevent cancer and heart diseases
As seen above, dry fruits or dried fruits have multiple health benefits. That makes them a must-have element in your daily diet. It’s time to start investing in these rich delights and pave your way for a healthier lifestyle in the mere future.